Licensed by New York State Department of Health as:
- Adult Home
- Limited Home Care Agency (in house residents only)
- Assisted Living Program (32 beds)
- Limited Service Laboratory
The WCA Home, a lovely Victorian residence located in an historic village, offers all the comforts of a real home. Our special blend of privacy and community enables residents to find time for private reflection, fun, socializing, and support.
We are centrally located to activities and services of downtown Fredonia and SUNY Fredonia, one of the top public colleges in the country.
Our Unique History
In 1893, the Fredonia chapter of the Women’s Christian Association purchased the elegant Aaron O. Putnam House at 134 Temple Street for the purpose of providing a home for elderly ladies. The not-for-profit WCA Home has operated continuously since then.
Adult Home Services
- 32 private rooms; 5 double occupancy rooms
- Each room has a twin bed, end table, lamp, dresser, mirror and linens
- All rooms with call bell to nurse’s station
- Laundry and housekeeping
- Home-cooked meals
- Special diets for low salt and sugar
- Transportation to and from doctors’ offices, with an escort from our staff
- Medication delivery and distribution
Home Care Services
We are licensed through New York State as an Assisted Living Program facility. This means we can provide additional services such as
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- speech therapy
- medical supplies and equipment
- adult day health care
- intermittent nursing care
Our residents always have access to Skype, the internet telephone service that gives them face to face conversations with family and friends via computers we provide. We help them stay connected!
- Residents can bring as many personal belongings, including furniture, as they wish
- Our signature front porch with rocking chairs
- Whirlpool bath to help ease joints
- Thursday is Pamper Day at our Beauty Salon–get your nails and hair done!
- Our own in-house dog and weekly Pet Therapy visits.
- Quiet nooks for reading
- Staff are here 24 hours per day
- Closed circuit video surveillance system
- State of the art security system
- Fire alarm system and sprinklers;
- Regular fire inspections
- Regular emergency drills
- Emergency generator on-site
Our Residents Council allows residents to plan and recommend many aspects of daily life, including
what’s for dinner! Our Administrator has an Open Door Policy and residents are welcome to drop in
anytime. Social activities are scheduled on a daily basis for daytime and evening, including:
- Movies and popcorn, TV, Bingo, Bridge, Pinochle, cooking, puzzles, painting and crafts,
singing, guest lectures, and music therapy…to name a few.
- We also plan excursions to nearby attractions, the local library, local Concerts in the Park,
events on the SUNY Fredonia campus, and an annual family dinner paid for by the
Friends of the WCA Home.
- The WCA Home is a nondenominational facility,
but religious services are provided each Sunday afternoon
by a different affiliation
- Holy Communion on Sundays
- Bible Study weekly
- Pastoral counseling